[Sussex] Finally got Gentoo working :o)

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.com
Fri Dec 3 17:19:48 UTC 2004

After all this time, I finally had the time & energy to battle my computer's
refusal to install any OS other than Slackware. Finally, I have sucessfully
installed Gentoo.

Very impressed with portage so far. After Slackware (no dependency check) and a
play around with LFS (no dependency check) it's nice to actually be able to
tell it "just install this" and it'll get on and do it instead of whining about
the stuff it needs.

There's just a couple of minor niggles I'd appreciate some feedback on:

Firstly, fonts are displaying really small in a few places - here and there in
web pages in Firefox, on GKrellM, etc. Is there someplace in X's config that
says "When in doubt, use THIS font", and Slack uses a bigger one than other
distros, or what?

And the other thing is actually not gentoo-specific, but it was something I
hoped upgrading to the 2.6 kernel would fix. When I first installed Slack, it
had the 2.4.22 kernel, and Firefox ran as a single process. When I upgraded to
2.4.26, firefox started showing up as multiple processes. And it's still doing
the same now I'm using the 2.6 kernel on a different distro.

It's not causing any particular problems, but it HAS stopped me being able to
use keyboard bindings to move back & forward a page, and it's making firefox
look like a real resource hog. Especially when it's using java, since it fires
up multiple instances of java as well...

Any idea why it's doing this, and how I can stop it?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers!

Dominic

----- End forwarded message -----