[Sussex] GNOME and EMACS

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Sun Dec 5 17:43:51 UTC 2004

Hi!
Does anyone know why, when I set up emacs as my default handler for text
files under GNOME (mime types and stuff), when I click on a text file,
emacs comes up fine, but GNOME doesn't seem to know about it.
I get a timer and "opening foo.txt" fake window in the the window list
for maybe 30 seconds until it presumably times out. It's not a huge
problem, but quite irritating, and I feel that I _should_ be able to do
something.
Does gnome expect some message from an application or something? Can I
configure emacs to send the right stuff back? Or do I have to do
something clever with emacs-client etc?
Thanks in advance,

Rupert