[Sussex] Fair's idea's

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Dec 8 22:49:51 UTC 2004

Andrew

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:45:52PM +0000, Andrew Guard wrote:
> How we can make it better, well here pennies worth.  Please dont take this
> the wrong way.

Any and all ideas are welcome, that doesn't mean that they will be taken
up, but all will be given the consideration they merit.

> First it cool that you are showing the Debian logo etc, but Debian how many
> people really know what it is and to be blunt Mr. Joe Public doesn't care.
> It just another logo which people see everyday and take no notice of, but
> say Linux and numbers who know about this increases dramatically.  Some
> times the simplest ideas do more then clever one's.

I would argue that the [use] Debian logo has not become an everyday logo yet.
It would be nice if Linux and [use] Debian had that kind of awareness in
which case we could then claim that Uncle Bill's days were numbered.  Maybe
if we start using subliminal messaging to USE DEBIAN then that will happen
soon. :-)

To date the only four people that have turned up to man the show for the
whole day are users of Debian.  Maybe this means that it is only Debian
people are really commit to prompting Linux and the club.  The advantage
to all wearing the same Debian polo shirt is more for recognised.  The
them stands out, and that is important to someone coming to the stand to
know who to talk to.

It is *not* a requirement that you have a Debian polo shirt (but it would
be nice).  If you want to come and help then please do.  We need your
support, especially for the next Fair on Jan 2nd - Only Colin and I can
make that one, but past intel from the show suggests that there should be
quite a crowd of post-Christmas shoppers out.  So please come and help
out, you help is not only welcome, but needed.

> OK I did say when I was there but just but just in case anyone forgot here
> some simple ideas,  the CD's should have OpenOffice.Org logo on then also
> Mozilia logo, these are better know then both Debian and Knoppix.

The current label is the standard knoppix one with the SLUG logo and our
URL overlayed.  But this label does need to be revamped - I do intend to
do this before the next show - I'm not sure which logos to include, I
don't want to hit the logo saturation point.

> Also could look idea of making front cover banner, which would hang on table
>
> and be about an table length, ie Sussex Linux User Group.
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> xSUSSEX LINUXx
> x            x

We do need a cloth for the table.  They are six feet long and about two
wide.  Having "Sussex Linux User Group" letters stitched to the front
would be a great help.  I think the basic cloth colour should be black
or dark red, with white letters, any volunteers?

> Get some glue paste together the flyer's, I would use some an glue like
> Pritt Stick.  As it not messy, quick and would do the job.

That is far to much work - a simple staple will do the job just as well.

> Well to get the kit do do job of WiFi'ing that way I would say have look at
> both (I can not recommend these business as I have never done any business
> with them but there names keep on getting good comments on them)
>
> http://www.solwise.co.uk/
> http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=309

Having a WiFi link (via Colin's) would be cool, but it is not needed.  If
you are volunteering to foot the bill then by all means contact them yourself
and buy a solution for us.  Remember this is a shoe string budget operation.

> Also look at the idea of making an CD which is filled with Open Source for
> Windows.  To show people that open source isn't a bad thing also put an copy
> of Sussex Linux web site, which would auto boot when CD installed. ;)
>
> App's which might go on there
>
> OpenOffice.org
> Firefox
> Thunderbird
> GIMP

The idea of an Open Source CD for Windows is a great idea.  It is another
CD that we can easterly put together and would help increase our take at
the show.  Next time we are putting the price of the CD up to £3 to help
recoup the costs, having a second CD of free software ready for Windows.
We could do them for £3 each or £5 the pair.  Can someone pick this
up and develop the ISO image.  I have no way of doing this as I don't have
a Windoz box here.  Any more suggestions for the CD.  I suggest:

  The GNU Tool set.
  EMacs