[Sussex] HDDs

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Dec 17 10:05:52 UTC 2004

Geoff

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:34:31AM +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> A sensible approach would be to make the drive a slave and boot of
> another one to recover the files you need and then low-level format the
> whole disk.

I wouldn't do that just yet, there is important data (photos) on the disk
that need to be recovered first.

> One thing though... if you can't boot a Knoppix disk then it sounds more
> likely that the BIOS is at fault not the HDD.

You don't need a hard disk in the system for Knoppix to run, you just need
a working CDROM drive.

Andy:  You have got the BIOS configured to boot from CDROM before C so
that Knoppix will boot haven't you?  Just something to check.  I forgot
to mention this is my previous post.