[Sussex] Web server help

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 10:43:16 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Guard" <andrew at andrewguard.com>
To: <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 6:30 AM
Subject: [Sussex] Web server help

> PS.  This is the first time I have used the new webmail site for sending
> e-mails from blueyonder.  The really cool thing is you can config it to
> use any e-mail address you like not just blueyonder domain address;)

Up to a point :-(

99% of the time this approach works, BUT some receiving organisations now
perform an anti-spam check as follows:

- Look at the sender's email address on the incoming message
- Look up the MX records for that domain
- Check whether any of those servers appear in the message header
- If not, reject it on the basis it's spam!

I have this problem with one large American firm with whom I have to deal on
behalf of a client. It's, apparantly, a "US Government" security
recommendation :-(

M.