[Sussex] HDDs

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Dec 17 16:29:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 03:51:34PM +0000, John D. wrote:
> I know that theres loads of characters that I might not have seen, in
> the myriad of languages that you may have installed, but what on earth
> is this one Steve?????
>
> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 09:58 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> <snip>
> > '
> </snip>
>

> And that's hoping that it's gonna appear in the text, but just in case,
> an apostrophe followed by a square box that appears to contain 00 over
> 1B.
>
> or
>
> Is it just an unusual character that you've used and just doesn't appear
> in the character set that I've got configured (and it's just thrown up a
> bit of a garble)??

John, you have found a question that I have no idea how to answer :-)

You description "a square box that appears to contain 00 over 1B" is
more like something I see in Firefox when it is trying to render something
in a font that I don't have (at least I am guessing that what is happening).

For e-mails I use mutt(1) with vi(1) as the configured editor.  This should
generate 7-bit ASCII e-mails.  When writing the e-mail you are replying to
I did cut and past the output of "fdisk -l" and I may have introduced some
odd characters at that point.  I've looked at the post and I can't see any,
and with your snippage of my post so heavy I can tell where the quote
came from.

I've have looked at a HEX and character dump of this reply, which contains
the string "'^[ " as your quote from me.  The "^[" is in fact one character
in vi(1) and represents the ESCAPE character but this is followed by a
SPACE.  I can't find any ESCAPE in my copy of the post, so where it came
from I'm completely at a lost.

My best guess, and a guess is *not* an answer, is that ESCAPE is being
interpritted by your mail readers as the start of a special character and
is doing it's best to render the random cr*p that follows.  I did have a
look for the ESCAPE character in my original posting but as I can't find
it I have no idea where you got it from.