[Sussex] From 500K to 1M in under 6 months for nothing extra

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 09:29:36 UTC 2004

 From: Steve Dobson [mailto:steve at dobson.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] From 500K to 1M in under 6 months for nothing extra

Steve

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 07:44:18AM -0000, Andrew Guard wrote:
> > Well I know that subject title sounds an bit like some spam but it isn't.
> > I sign up to Telewest Blueyonder about 6 months ago and at time got the
> > 500k package for £25 an month.  An short time after connection to
> > blueyonder it was improved to 750k for wait for it £25 an month. Now to
> > day I have 1M and you guessed it all for £25 and no bandwith restrictions.
> >
> > I know it is work as look at my CM config 192.168.100.1 downstream channel
> > is set to Bit Rate 1024000 bps.
> >
> > http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_evenfaster
>
> Are you really getting that bandwidth.  At home here I am on a 500Kbit 50:1
> (home500) package with Zen and I regularly see (night or day) >50Kbytes/sec.
>
> Recently I was on a client's site and installing some [Debian] packages
> and I was only seeing about 38Kbytes/sec on the download.  I was informed
> that this was 1Mbit 20:1 package.
>
> Just because they have set the up-stream max settings doesn't mean that
> that is what you see.

I have a 1024/256 50:1 and often see downloads of 119Kbytes/Sec

Technically it should get 128Kbytes/sec which it has spiked to before if the server is local and on a good network, but you will always get additional network communication slowing downloads.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message. In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.