[Sussex] Mythtv

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Mon Dec 20 10:01:43 UTC 2004

David Chapman wrote:

>I am in the proccess of gathering some hardware for a Mythtv box and would
>welcome recommendations.
>I wont need a TV tuner as I will be taking the signal from my NTL set top box.
>I already have some left overs from other projects.
>
>1x DXR3 DVD decoder
>1x Sigma Hollywood DVD decoder
>Aopen DVD-ram drive
>Creative Live 1024 sound card
>
>So I need recommendations for an encoder minimum cpu reqirements and a box to
>put it all in.

Hi David,

Funnily enough, I have just shifted my MythTV setup from a BT878 card
and a PVR-250 to DVB-T.  For recording (and encoding), the PVR-250 can't
be beaten - it also has an A/V in socket.  Therefore, my 2 old cards are
now spare.

I had the BT878 running on a Duron 1300 with 256MB without issues - it
was fully capable of recording at 640x480 to RTJpeg format. The PVR-250
has a built in encoder, and outputs to Mpeg2.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Cheers,

Richie

P.S. the PVR250 and BT878 card are up for sale if anyone wants them.