[Sussex] more broadband questions?

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Dec 20 16:20:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 16:10 +0000, John D. wrote:
> Sorry I can't reference the recent posts about broadband, the mail
> archive link seems to have vanished from the SLUG site.

Dobbo.. ?

> So, having read (but unfortunately deleted) the recent comment about
> broadband services, I'm still investigating what it's gonna cost me to
> upgrade from 512k to 1 Mbps.
>
> The service that was mentioned by Gareth and Geoff, was it eclipse? or
> something else? as I found a broadband deal at http://www.eclipse.net.uk
> with a product called "Flex". Is this what was mentioned?

Yup, that's the right people...

<snippage>

> So given that lot, maybe some of you could advise as to what YOU
> consider when looking at available services? and what is most important
> i.e. the pecking order for cost, quality, contract tie in,
> static/dynamic IP etc etc ???

Long term, performance and static IP (static IP is handy if you want to
be able to reach your network externally, or run a Web Server/Mail
Server/Evil Porn Empire....).

> p.s. those who use eclipse, do you think it's worth having the ability
> to speed things up @ 8 pence per hour

There aren't many things that will require you to have more than 1Mbps
available to you.  Most servers you pull from are too loaded to give you
that full bandwidth anyway.  Usually the drive to up your bandwidth is
either more users at your end, or more people pulling stuff from you
(remember the services you listed only give you 256Kbps upstream, so
serving is going to be OK, but you're not going to want to be
slashdotted anytime soon).

--
Geoffrey Teale <gteale at cmedltd.com>
Cmed Technology