[Sussex] Some Good Will Come From Software Patents

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 17:31:06 UTC 2004

 From: Steve Dobson [mailto:steve at dobson.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] Some Good Will Come From Software Patents

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 04:43:27PM +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 16:44 +0000, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > One thing.. a company can sue you in a US court no matter what your
law
> > says (see the recent case with the Russian government and that big
Oil
> > firm).  Whether your country would accept the US courts judgement is
> > another matter, but if you are an international entity you're
> > screwed ;-)
>
> How?
>
> I would agree if company X imported software from Y that violated
> Z's patent that X would have to paid Z to use that software.  There
are
> a number of practices that, while illeage in one country, and the way
> of doing business in others, back-handers for example.
>
> How would you go about suing the company?  Any international company
> worth it sort will place the approprate legial blocks in place to stop
> this kind of action.

Well I kind of goes like this USA see them selves as the be all and end
all of business and truth be told they are one of the biggest consumer
and business running nations. If they wish to say to company X that are
happily producing software in the country of there choice. They could
quite easily see an import sanction put on them if they do not comply to
the ruling of the US courts.

Schoolboy bulling tactics TBH

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.