[Sussex] more broadband questions?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 21 00:00:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 16:37 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 04:28:30PM +0000, Alan F wrote:
<snip>
> > > p.s. those who use eclipse, do you think it's worth having the ability
> > > to speed things up @ 8 pence per hour
> > >
> > I've never tried it, since I'm usually patient enough to wait for
> > downloads... I guess if you download warez^W^W^W^W^Wlinux
> > distribution every so often it'd be useful. :)
>
> Well I'm happy with my 512K Zen account, I'm not really thinking of
> upgrading (maybe because I live far from the exchange).  I don't pull
> that many big files from the Internet interactively.  The odd Linux kernel
> patch and that's it.  My upgrading is taken care of from my local Debian
> mirror which will out perform any boardband speed as it is either 11Mb
> (WiFi) or 100Mb (10BaseT) depending upon the network.
>
> I would be more interested in upgrading if the up-link speed was increased.
> That way I would need to think about an off-site server for my clients to
> get large files from my site.
</snip>

and

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 16:30 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
Alan

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 04:25:36PM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> > Just FYI, I've had a dynamic IP for the last 3 years and have run
> > numerous websites and a mailserver off it. I just have my domain
> > pointing to a dyndns.org subdomain which dynamically updates as my
IP
> > address changes. At last count my IP had changed about 3 times in
that
> > 3 years..
>
> I agree it is possible to do, it is easier if you do have a fixed
> IP address.  Not only do I run my own email/web-server (must add
> evil porn empire to the plan) but also my own DNS server so I have
> almost full control over my Internet face.

Yes, Yes and Yes.

that's basically what I'd like to do (you probably set that up in 15 or
20 minutes Steve, I'll probably take 2 to 3 weeks).

One of the reasons that I didn't quote a price for Zen, was that
compared to the others, they wanted too much money.

The cost for the 1 Mbps via eclipse will up my outlay by about £6 a
month. I can take the pressure :-P  I also checked out the SDSL prices,
as I seem to recall that Geoff mentioned about using a service like
that, but I have to say, I did rather "blanch" at the price for that!

I also checked out the stats for uptime, customer svc, average speed,
etc etc but before I actually go ahead and "flash the cash", I'll check
out a few more things - static IP's and the like. An article in the
current "PC Pro" mentioned using dyndns.org as it can often save the
additional cost that lots of ISP's charge for static IP's, personally my
so called dynamic one hasn't changed at all since I started using the
service (well since I started using a modem router at any rate), though
it would be nice to have.

Thanks very much for the replies everyone, it narrows things down a fair
bit.

regards

John D.