[Sussex] partitions and the like ??

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Dec 26 16:51:15 UTC 2004

Hi list,

Currently, I have hda1(windows), hda2 /boot, hda3 /swap, hda4 is
extended into hda5 /root and hda6 /home.

The thing is, is that all my mp3's are currently in my /home and
therefore inaccessible when I have to do something in windows.

As far as I understand it, if I modify my partitioning so that I also
have a /vfat (well it doesn't really matter what it's called) and format
it as fat32, both windows and my gentoo install should be able to
read/write (obviously I'd need to make the relevant entries to
the /etc/fstab and the mount points for the gentoo).

Am I on the right lines ???

Also, so I didn't screw up any data, I'm presuming that I'd have to make
the partition as the last part of my /home (pinch some space), because I
don't want to kill any data, am I right in also presuming that because
linux doesn't usually take the "scatter gun" approach to writing data to
the hard drive, that this is probably the best way of accomplishing this
and shouldn't affect anything data wise ?

regards

John D.

p.s. Hope everyone had a satisfactory crimbo ?