[Sussex] partitions and the like ??

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Dec 27 19:20:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 17:49 +0000, John Crowhurst wrote:

> You need to set the partition type to FAT32 with fdisk (probably a type c)
> so that Windows will recognise it. Then you can format it as fat32 so that
> Windows can write to it.

Thought that'd be the way. I tried to do the partitioning amendments
with Partition Magic, but I can't make it change the linux partitions,
whether this has got anything to do with them both being logical
partitions? I'm not sure

> Take a backup of all essential data, as you will probably lose it. Some
> file systems that Linux uses cannot be repartitioned easily.

Hum! When I fire up the Partition Magic in windows, it's still reporting
the partitions to be ext2, they're not, I've got them formatted as
reiserfs.

Which linux file systems can't be repartitioned easily?

> Perhaps the easiest way to do this would be to remove partition /home
> (hda6), and create two new partitions in its place. Create a new /home on
> hda6, and /vfat on the newly created hda7. You may need to create a new
> filesystem on /home (which you can recover from your backup) and you
> definately will on /vfat (so that windows will see the files.)

I was hoping that I'd just be able to take 20 to 30 gig's off the end of
the /home partition (which is a not inconsiderable 70 gig's in size) and
then format the space as fat32 - Would this do the trick do you think -
I know that this would position the fat32/vfat partition at the very end
of the disc, but I shouldn't think that I'd need too worry about disc
access speeds, I'm only considering this for my mp3's so it's not
exactly what you'd call mission critical!

regards

John D.