[Sussex] A bad linux weekend! :(:(:(

John big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Feb 15 17:02:22 UTC 2004

Just occasionally, I really, really hate linux with a passion.

How's this for a crappy weekend.

I find an easy (allegedly) way, of installing a 2.6 kernel into my mandrake 9.1 install (the gentoo install, and lack of access, is on a back burner FTM). so I follow the instructions/links and it looks like I'd managed to get this going.

Wrong. Yes it installed the kernel version, but killed the nvidia driver for my graphic's card. "Not a problem" thinks me, I'll just nip over to the nvidia site and get the latest driver. Great. Got that, so I follow the install instructions. No, it won't install, it can't find the kernel sources for the 2.6 kernel version. No problem, I'll nip over to the mirror and get them.

Wrong. The kernel version available at "mandrake cooker" has changed. So I've got to get the latest kernel version, plus the kernel sources.

Ok, that's those two installed along with the nvidia driver. Great.

Wrong. The bastard won't boot. AAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!  :(

"Ok", thinks me, I'll just have to look into the mandrake 10 beta again. Hours of downloading later, I've even got a checking facility, so I can make sure the md5sum's are correct. They are, excellent!.

I'll just install that, and I'll have a mandrake install that has both a 2.6 kernel and the latest kde 3.2

Wrong. That swine won't boot either. Well, it starts booting, but hang's.

OK, I'll just nip over to the LUG mail archive and get the instructions that Paul Morris sent to Angelo, that should get my gentoo install going again.

Wrong. After following the instructions from Paul's e-mail, the system just won't boot into gentoo. I still haven't got any idea as to how I can now find the info on the gentoo version that's (as far as I can tell) sitting on my hard drive, or the stuff about initrd that I think I'd need to be able to modify the lilo.conf.

And just to top things off, some of you may remember that there was a relatively serious security scare a couple of months ago, about kernel versions 2.4.23 and below. Well, even if I re-install mandrake 9.1, when I do the update to include/install the kernel version that "they" produced, to "close the hole", I still can't get the bugger to install and do the modifications that I'd need to be able to boot from lilo.

Sometimes I'm just glad that I'm still dual booting, and have the dreaded windows XP available!

Oh well, here we go again!

regards

John D