[Sussex] Kernel re-compile?

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Wed Feb 18 00:07:36 UTC 2004

Hi all,
After lots of reading HOWTOs, help from this fine group & others like
debianhelp.org, followed by editing various files, it finally came to light
that my CD-R wouldn't "R" because of a missing module (sr_mod). One good
thing to come of this was that someone at debianhelp made a new HOWTO for
CD-R/RW as a result of my queries.

I now need to get module sr_mod, so that I can use my CD-R (upgraded at the
weekend to a DVDROM/CD-R/RW combo I got from work for £30 inc. VAT) for its
intended purpose.

Re-compiling the kernel has been the only suggested means of adding this
module. Now, I'm willing to take the plunge & give it a go, but (faint
sound of chicken noises) if there's an easier way, then I'm all ears.

If re-compiling is the only way, then any helpful hints are most welcome.

I have never compiled anything (apart from a small Java programme that
displayed a short sentence), so please be gentle ;-)

TIA for any help,

Gavin.