[Sussex] Penguins...

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Feb 20 13:35:59 UTC 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 11:24, sdp.williams at btinternet.com wrote:
> Geoff,
>
> I managed to get over the XFree86 stumbling block on my Gentoo install
> following a marathon XF86Config hacking session. Now my M50 is busy:
>
> emerge --usepkg kde
>
> How long - I really don't want to ask.
>
> So far I'm very pleased with gentoo - much quicker than SuSE, oops, Novell.
> Still only running in 1280x1024 res fb on boot though, but can come back to
> that later.
>
> Steve W.

Steve,

Geoff has more gentoo/linux knowledge in his little finger than I have in the
whole of my brain ! :D

But having recently re-installed gentoo, and had to do "emerge kde" (I'm too
stupid to work out how to get a binary install off the second CD) recently,

the first time I did the emerge kde, it took nearly 15 hours - this time (over
the last couple of days) I couldn't say in total, because I kept getting
"emerge failure"............... and it all came to a grinding halt, But it is
quite a long time, using a 2 gig pentium4, 768 megs of ram to my 7200 rpm
8meg buffered 120 gig hard drive with a "half a meg" adsl.

If you have a look at the desktop configuration guide at the gentoo site, when
you read to the bottom of the section about installing kde it says "have a
nice nap"!

regards

John