[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Feb 22 16:30:21 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 15:46, Thomas Adam wrote:
<snip>
> Syslog is what logs kernel messages, and system messages. Typically
> messages can be sent to /dev/console which are then logged to
> /var/log/messages. The kernel will also send them via the tkprint()
> function.
> As for init logging, I am not so sure of gentoo, but debian uses the
> program: "bootlogd".
<snip>
> Yes, that means your kernel lacks support for it.
</snip>

So, this now leads onto the question, that surely, gentoo's livecd install
would have put some kind of system logger into my system by default ?

Because I'll be blowed if I can find it. I've found various things
in /var/log, but none of them looks like it's a "syslog". Maybe someone knows
what I could/should emerge so I have logging facilities?

Also, if fsck can't find fsck.xfs, how do I modifiy things so there is support
for an xfs file system ?

Thanks for the assistance thus far.

regards

John D.