[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 09:05:03 UTC 2004

 --- "John D." <big-john at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Da Nada Senor.

:)

> But mainly because so much of Linux is over my head. I honestly feel
> that the
> relative complexity of "it"  is what gives so much ammunition to the
> "anti-linux" crowd - and yes their seniment's are easy for one to
> sympathise
> with.

That really depends upon the people. It is unfortunate, but I have always
viewed the use of Linux is dependant upon the mentality of the people
willing to give it a go (no arrogance intended there - just an
observation).

> I don't see myself as an IT enthusiast, but a user who want's the choice
> of
> not using M$ products, on social, moral and ethical grounds. But to have
> that
> opportunity, I have had to join the linux "learning Merry-go-round".

:) Then in that case, you will get nothing but support. I started using
Linux about ooh, 7 years ago, when I was 13. Back then, I was running the
'new' distribution "slackware". A nice distro for sure, but the amount of
support back then was minimal. You are now in a fortunate position, John.

> I support of gentoo, their basic doc's are many times better than most,
> but
> for those who aren't technically minded (me :D), it's all just a little
> daunting. If you check out the gentoo forums, it appears that there's as
> much
> info there, as there is at the whole of linuxquestions.org, and that's
> one of
> the busier linux forum's (i.e. 1 distro vs lots of the).

Gentoo is not what I would call a "hobbyist's" distro -- not by any means.
In fact, you've really plunged yourself into the deep end. I have used
about a dozen distros in my time, including Gentoo, but I was always go
back to Debian.

> It's all too easy to drown in linux documentation. Documentation that I
> don't
> really understand. That's one of the reason's that I enjoy the LUG, when
> can get there.

Absolutely. That is why I am on so many LUG lists. I am actually in
Hamsphire -- never been to Sussex, save to travel through it. But by doing
so, I get to help many more people.

I think you're slightly wrong about documentation though. Linux has quite
an extensive set of documents, assuming you know where to look. But of
course, it was written for people like yourselves who _want_ to learn. To
say that you do not understand it is a little defeatest. You should always
try and better yourself in that sense, John. It is as if you're limiting
yourself by assuming you will never understand it.

> You get the option, so when one of our "great and good"
> explain something, I can say, "sorry, I don't follow you, can you run
> that by
> me again"? and I eventually understand.

Indeed.

> is available - logging, being a facility where there's choice. Hence I
> now
> have a /var/log/messages - because i followed the instructions and
> emerged
> syslog-ng. I don't understand it's full capabilities, but it seems to be

Syslog is a standard thing. Did you want me to explain it in more detail
for you?

> logging some of the boot messages and I'm sure if i search hard enough,
> there'll be more.

There is -- "bootlogd". If my memory serves me (and it has been a while
since I last used/installed gentoo), bootlogd is in the "baselayout"
package.

The difference between bootlogd and syslog is that the former mearly logs
init stuff to /var/log/boot, whereas the former will log all kernel/system
messages to /var/log/messages (hint: see "man logger").

> Again, thanks for your help Thomas. I'm pretty sure that I'll have more
> ???
> later.

You're quite welcome, John. Keep them coming. I'm off to University now.
Sigh -- more lectures to attend ;)

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net