[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Feb 23 16:28:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 16:17 +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> Thatcher. Hmm, let us not go there.

I thought the current administration _was_ there.

Anyone see Bremner, Bird and Fortune last night?  They pretty much
opened the program by comparing Tony Blair to Hitler - possibly a little
OTT, but I guess someones got to criticise now the BBC has been
neutered.

> It's not that they don't bother -- it's more that businesses are more
> comfortable with reliability and support. If a business *pays* for its
> product then they have a legal standpoint for suing them if it goes wrong.
> Open Source doesn't give them that edge.

I personally think the line about "having someone to sue" is just about
the most ridiculous idea going.  If you've ever read a Microsoft EULA
you'll find that the only thing you have a hope in hell of suing for is
unfair contract terms!  Besides which, what company have you worked for
that would turn around and say, I know, let's sue Microsoft!

> Of course, there is always the flip side in that companies are afraid of
> change.

A much more likely scenario.  A recent study showed that for every
windows XP installation in British businesses there are 4 windows 2000
installs and 150 NT4 installations.

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology <gteale at cmedltd.com>