[Sussex] Woody, here I come :-)

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 00:16:41 UTC 2004

 --- Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

> Listen to Thomas - dselect is the spawn of the Devil - do not use it.
> Use the power that is "apt-get".

Or even aptitude, which will function as a much a cleaner interface for
dselect (if used with no parameters) and also for apt-get and apt-cache.

> >                                     Apt-get is the man to use. There
> is
> > also something called "tasksel" that might interest you -- but I would
> > advise against that -- it installs KDE *and* GNOME.
>
> "tasksel" is only really useful if you want to install a set of packages
> that are normally related to a task - like programming.

Even then, I would still install the compiler(s) myself.

> If you have a broadband link, or time (it will work over a 56K modem - I
> know that's how I used it for years, letting it run over night) apt will
> upgrade from potote to woody (or even sarge) without having to use the
> CD.

Agreed, CD1 of woody for the basesystem, and then do a net install.

> Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list so that it looks like this:

[..snip contents of sources.list..]

apt-setup

achieves the same thing as this.

> Then (as root) do a:
>   # apt-get update
>   # apt-get dist-upgrade

apt-get -u upgrade && apt-get -u dist-upgrade

the -u is most helpful.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net