[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Feb 24 17:10:04 UTC 2004

Hi Geoff

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 04:26:07PM +0000, Geoff Teale wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 15:57 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > You'd think that, wouldn't you.  But there is some evidence that that
> > reverse it true - see "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"...

> My point here is that it is not _just_ the software houses that are
> negligent in this regard, it is the customers as well.  Most customers
> don't demand enough from their suppliers up front, because they don't
> see any value in understanding what they're dealing with (technical
> issues are after all what you're paying the software house to deal
> with!).   I don't know a company that wouldn't expect "correctly
> calculated figures" to be a prerequisite for any external accounting
> organisation they did business with, but basic notions of QA in software
> seem to be less important to customers than "more features, more
> quickly".  If customers  demanded quality rather than "flash" then the
> industry would soon change to meet the demand.

I was not trying to suggest that software houses are negligent - just that
they have different influences and that those influences appear to
adversely effect software production.  The goal of all software projects is
to produce functionally complete, bug-free software.  In the past it has
been assumed that if the right controls and protocols are used then better
software will result.

F/OSS development is showing that for complex software projects, and most
software these days is complex given the power of the machines being used,
that a chaotic, bazaar development model produces better software.

> > Few, if any commercial projects have the man power for testing and
> > developing that the Linux Kernel, Debian and Gentoo have available to
> > them.
>
> True.  One of the main gains that Red Hat get from Fedora (as opposed to
> the old "Red Hat Linux" line) is a large community of users itching to
> do their pre-release testing and bug fixing.  In return Red Hat continue
> (as they have done for years) to employ developers working on a lot of
> the software we all take for granted (Alan Cox, Havoc Pennington and the
> like).

Agreed. I was not trying to belittle Red Hat, just that being a commercial
company they are subject to the same marketing forces that Sun, HP, IBM
or Microsoft are.  Remember the glibc problems of a few years back.  IIRC
the blame was clearly placed on a marketing need to release.

> Most of the big companies who GPL software do so for precisely these
> reasons - they can make a bundle selling support and services and save a
> load of testing money by giving the software to communities who do there
> own support.  Some people see this as cynical, though I do not. I know a
> lot of Debian developers have been pissed off by Red Hat and Gentoo's
> communities work being used for commercial gain (although this always
> seems to go hand with petty "Debian rules distro X sux" statements) but
> the simple truth is F/OSS tools have been advanced a lot by these
> companies and we all get to benefit from it - equally we all have the
> same opportunity to build business around that software.

Strange.  To become a Debian Developer one has to agree to the Debian
Social Contract.  That states that commercial use of Debian is allowed.
Indeed the DDs I know take pride where Debian is being used as the base
for another distro.

> > Another problem with commercial timescales and budgets is that they are
> > based on "fiddled" engineering estimates.  The original estimates are
> > poor to begin with, and the better at estimating one gets the more likely
> > you are to extend you estimates.  Management, when it doesn't like what
> > it sees, moves the estimates to the left.  And what engineer is going
> > to state that "it will take six weeks not four".  Is it any wonder that
> > projects overrun?
>
> Yes.  Even here estimation causes a little tension.  Working with
> eXtreme Programming techniques improves our life a lot (XP encourages a
> more Bazaar like approach than most formal methodologies) because we
> only every deal with very small units of work - we also find that we are
> able to adjust to our customers ever changing needs a lot better.

That is one of the goals of XP.  But XP does not scale.  Medium sized
projects is about the most it can deal with.

> > Here is an example.  One of my old companies bid for a new bit of work
> > in a new sector.  The Board wanted to move the company in that direction
> > so they made it a "must win" bid.  To help, they reduced both the timescale
> > and the cost.
> >
> > The project, in order to "meet" the timescale needed to run far more
> > overtime than in the forecast.  As a result the 20% profit margin was
> > eaten up.  The Board had the senior software engineer investigate.
> >
> > The report was not good reading (for the Board).  It basically said that
> > Engineering executed the project to within a reasonable margin of error.
> > If the Board decides to reduce the bid to win the business then the Board
> > could not blame Engineering for executing the project as Engineering
> > originally said it would.
>
> That's actually more rational than most companies, who will simply blame
> engineering for not doing the impossible!

That was what the Board were doing until the report came out.  Luckily the
engineer writing the report commanded a lot of respect - far more than the
Board members.

> Here we're lucky enough to be told about the real situations we are
> facing.  If we have a do or die piece of functionality to produce then
> we pull together as a team and do our best because we understand what is
> required and what the significance of it is.

You're company (or at least the software bit of it) is much smaller.  This
company was much bigger, with more separation between top level managers
and the work force.  That doesn't help communications - esp when the Board
is not part of the bid team and therefore can "forget" the original estimates.

Steve D