[Sussex] microshaft at it again

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Thu Feb 26 11:47:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 10:35 +0000, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> I expect standards, Apple where not allowed their advertising for the G5
> because they claimed it was more powerful then any other system.
> If ITC can stop that why can't they stop Microshaft.
Unless Microsoft are saying it on TV you are barking up the wrong
tree.

IN a more general sense though, Microsoft almost definitely state
somewhere that they are using example costs and given assumptions.  The
fact that they are comparing a cheap Windows install with an expensive
Linux one is hardly surprising.

IF Apple had clearly stated that their machine happened to be the
fastest on some given benchmark there would be no problem. However they
made a general statement that was not substantiated and they did so in
order to influence a market (i.e. consumers) that is not expected to be
sophisticated enough in it's knowledge to understand this.

> Wow I didn't know there where Windows fanatics, I just thought people
> made do because they didn't want to change or try something else.

There are people in the USA today who are so afraid that other people
hold different views to them that they will go on television and compare
single-sex marriage to legalising the sale of heroin and gunning people
down in the streets.  Moreover they will put this issue front and centre
of their up and coming election campaign (along side martian
exploration) rather than deal with unimportant matters like illegal
occupation of foreign states, breaches of the Geneva convention and the
utter destruction of the wealthfare state in the USA).

If society created Dubya and Arnie then surely the idea that someone
would hate anything that threatened an established "fact" (that Windows
is the only OS and Bill is it's profit (er sorry, prophet)) wouldn't be
such a surprise?

I'm just waiting for Dubya to announce that all homosexuals and Linux
users in the USA will have to wear a sheet that covers their entire
bodies with just a small lace panel to peak though.

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology <gteale at cmedltd.com>