[Sussex] USENIX pipe up on SCO

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Feb 27 15:54:53 UTC 2004

Geoff

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 03:39:08PM +0000, Geoff Teale wrote:
> USENIX have written to congress openly stating that SCO are committing
> extortion.  Moreover they have banned SCO from distributing Nmap (which
> is GPL code belonging to USENIX).
>
> One important point that USENIX is making is that availability of GPL
> code has a bigger positive effect on the US economy than SCO's continued
> survival.
>
> USENIX's letter to congress is available here:
>
> http://www.usenix.org/about/sco.pdf
>
> ... USENIX are quoting GPL violations as a reason to ban SCO - I'm going
> to ask some FSF people if there is any chance of taking SCO to court
> over this violation.

I though that they were thinking of it way back at the beginning of this
fun :-)  I got the impression that, guess work on my part, that IBM want
to prove the GPL in court.  The amount of support that appears (from my
reading between the lines) between the F/OSS community and IBM and their
lawyers this as to have been talked about.  From the lack of an overt
announcement - I have found one - I guess that they don't want to give
the game away to SCO.

But please let us know what the FSF says.

Steve D