[Sussex] "pre-depend" error upgrading to Woody

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Feb 27 22:50:12 UTC 2004

Gavin

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:34:46PM -0000, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> I added the Woody CDs via apt-cdrom add, did apt-get update followed by
> apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> Shortly after asking for (& me inserting & pressing enter) the first CD,
> apt came up with the following error:
>
> "E: Internal Error - Couldn't configure a pre-depend"
>
> Just to be sure that apt was finding the CDs OK, I did apt-setup, selected
> cdrom as my data source & added the CDs again. Still the same error :-(
>
> I have to say that I'm baffled by this one - I have no idea what it means,
> what I need to do or where I need to look.
>
> I had a gut feeling about apt finding the cdrom, but the drive fires up
> when I put a CD in after dist-upgrade asks for it, so I assume it's OK -
> can't be sure though.
>
> *Any* help appreciated,

Have you added the security HTTP link.  If there is a broken package the
fix is likely to be on the security website.

Do you know what package it is complaiing about - There is normally a lot
more information there than that.  I'd like to see more of the messages
to see what's going on.

It may also be worth first upgraging just the apt & dpkg packages:
  # apt-get install apt dpkg
first just incase it is something that was fixed there.