[Sussex] More gentoo problems!!!

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Feb 28 15:49:24 UTC 2004

Hi list,

Guess what? I've ball's it up again. Don't quite understand how though, as I
was trying to get my printers installed and configured at the time.

Anyway, the current "batch" or questions are really research, for when I
re-install (in total confusion, I just re-installed my mandrake, so I had
some sort of linux install, that I could use).

When installing desktop's, configuring printing and probably various other
delight's that I've yet to discover, the various guides make mention of
editing the /etc/make.conf and adding the necessary "USE flags".

Now, I've got the gentoo guide to use flags, but I don't quite follow. If,
when I've got a desktop up and running and put the line:

USE="qt kde -gtk -gnome"

so the system knows that I'm a kde fan, and aren't really interested in using
gnome etc, can I then just change it when adding the printers and have just
the one line i.e.

USE=qt kde -gtk -gnome cups foomaticdb ppds"

or do I need to put in additional "use" lines for each thing, as in:

USE="qt kde -gtk -gnome"
USE="cups foomaticdb ppds"

regards

John D.