[Sussex] Unix file permissions question

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Fri Jan 2 14:25:32 UTC 2004

John

> Although these ACLs seem not to be updated.
>
> http://acl.bestbits.at/

This URL was useful although his manual pages seem to have disappeared.

It wasn't too hard to get it working once I plucked up courage and
overcame sloth.   The kernel patches are included in the standard Gentoo
kernel and I also had to emerge sys-apps/acl.

Two points worth noting:

1.  make menuconfig needed the following turned on in File Systems:

mail root # grep 'XATTR\|POSIX_ACL' /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR_SHARING is not set
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR_USER is not set
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR_TRUSTED is not set
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR=y
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR_SHARING is not set
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR_USER is not set
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR_TRUSTED is not set
CONFIG_EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y

2.  this was needed in /etc/fstab (I stumbled across it in the Gentoo
forum):-

/dev/hda2 /home ext3 noatime,acl 0 0

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited
http://www.gigaday.com
tony at gigaday.com

"For those that are uninsured, many of the uninsured are able-bodied, capable people capable of buying insurance choose not to do so."

George W. Bush
November 10, 1999
Comments made during an interview with WMUR in Manchester, New Hampshire.