[Sussex] configuring xine?

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jan 19 21:05:28 UTC 2004

Hi list,

does anyone know anything about configuring xine to play DVD's.

I've managed to get it installed and sort of running, but both the sound and
video playback are "jumpy"

I found this

"Oki, xine doesn't drop frames now but video output still is not really
smooth!

Video output can be further improved by tuning your linux kernel:

Set HZ to 1000 in /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/param.h

Try applying scheduler patches, especially the O(1) and the preemptive patches
have proven useful at the time of this writing (spring 2003).
Linux 2.5/2.6 will probably have these improvements out of the box."

at xinehq, but don't quite understand what it's telling me to do, or quite how
I'd do it.

the /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/param.h looks like this

ifndef _ASMi386_PARAM_H
#define _ASMi386_PARAM_H

#include <linux/config.h>

#ifdef __KERNEL__
# define HZ             CONFIG_HZ       /* internal kernel timer frequency */
# define USER_HZ        100             /* some user interfaces are in ticks
*/
# define CLOCKS_PER_SEC (USER_HZ)       /* like times() */
# define jiffies_to_clock_t(x)  ((x) / ((HZ) / (USER_HZ)))
#endif

#ifndef HZ
#define HZ 200                          /* if userspace cheats, give them 200
*/
#endif

#define EXEC_PAGESIZE   4096

#ifndef NGROUPS

as you can see, there are various bit's that mention HZ, but which one would I
change ?

and as I haven't got a scooby what the hell a scheduler or preemptive patch
is, that ones got me totally stumped.

As usual, any idea's or suggestions are "mucho appreciado"

regards

John D.