[Sussex] X/KDE Crash

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sun Jan 25 11:38:11 UTC 2004

Sam,

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 17:18, Sam (Shuriken1) wrote:
> Hi, as you know, I've been having a few problems with freezes, does
> this mean anything to you guys:
>
> WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
> parameter) \x09
>       Major opcode:  \x0e

Yes is a warning that is only produced by Non-fatal error handlers in
XLib, it means that a parameter was passed to a function that was
expecting a Pixmap or Window object, but that the parameters value was
not either of those types.  Whilst this suggests something is amiss in
the code somewhere the keyword is Non-fatal.  The fact that you are
seeing the error at all is testament to the fact that it is being
handled, so I wouldn't expect this to be the source of your problems.

> I noticed it when I shut down KDE and looking at the screen, it seems
> to have come up a couple of times, but at different times in the
> shutdown process.
> Any ideas?

I'm not that knowledgeable about KDE these days I'm afraid. I've largely
taken to using Gnome since around 2.0.  It may be worth you while
installing a different windowing environment to isolate the possibility
that it is KDE at fault.  I would suggest that it is still more likely
to be something to do with drivers for your hardware however.

--
Geoff Teale
general: <tealeg at member.fsf.org>