[Sussex] newham council and the linux trials.

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Mon Jan 26 15:52:24 UTC 2004

Simon

In view of this, I guess we would be _completely_ wasting our time writing
to them.

Tony

> Sorry, I couldn't quote my original comment, but think that it was "is
> this a cop out?"
>
> The original story about Newham pulling out of the linux trials for
> reasons of cost and migration now (well IMO) seem to be a little hollow.
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/35063.html seem to be the
> evidence of that. It would appear that it was more of a case of publicly
> pleading poverty to manipulate the situation.
>
> Personally, the IT bloke at Newham seems to be just another of those
> "anti-open source" types, who couldn't be bothered, or maybe plain just
> doesn't like the alternatives to MS products.
>
> If, in financial terms, the cost per seat (whether the facility is
> actually charged per seat or not) worked out cheaper using Linux/open
> source, then surely the allegded additional cost of migration  i.e. the
> training and short term drop in productivity of Newham's computer using
> staff, would be worth it, if, for no other reason, reducing reliance on
> MS, given their record for price increases and other over bearing and
> monopolistic behaviour.
>
> It's fair to say, that I could very easily be "far off the mark" but
> having taken account of both the original story of "them" pulling out of
> the linux trials, and the resulting linked story, things just don't seem
> to "ring true", and I for one, don't believe in coincidence.
>
> regards
>
> John D.

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited
http://www.gigaday.com
tony at gigaday.com

"Actually, this may sound a little West Texan to you, but I like it when I'm talking about myself, and when he's talking about myself, all of us are talking about me."

George W. Bush
May 31, 2000
Spoken to Chris Matthews on MSNBC's Hardball.