[Sussex] Automated FTP the Update

Nicholas Butler nik at butlershouse.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 14:48:24 UTC 2004

Well thats been a diversion. Looking at this from a MAIL TRANSFER AGENT
( e.g. the exim, Sendmail, Postfix ) point of view its clear that they
really dont want to muck about with content.

 From a Mail User Agent Point of View, following delivery to an account
by a MTA ( see above ) then its possible to view the whole Mail Box (
either as one file MBOX or multiple files MailDir ) as a file which can
be parsed by scripts, programs and the rest.

I did discover the PIPE command in the exim filter which let me build
something like if $h_subject contains "test" then pipe "somemimedecoder
-d outputdir " this then would put a file to be uploaded somewhere, so
it kinda cracked that nut, though im not sure how much of a good ide it
is enabling a mail agent to indiscrimately accept files to upload to a
destination.

anyway thats my 2pence and thanks for the diversion.....