Changing Distros? (was Re: [Sussex] ftape, HP Colorado T3000 and kernel 2.4.18)

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Jul 15 17:11:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:37:15 +0100
Jon Fautley <jon at 3ait.co.uk> enlightened us with:

> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I'm trying to get the above to work, however I've hit a small
> > problem.:D
> >
> > I've compiled the ftape/zftape modules into the kernel and they're
> > /dev and when I try any of the commands such as ftformat and ftmt, I
> > just get the error "/dev/tape does not exist"
>
> ln -s /dev/tape /dev/actual_tape_device
>
> - or -
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV tape (or name of tape devices, i.e. for creating hda1, you'd
>
> type hda)

Nice idea, but I don't have a MAKEDEV script in my /dev/dir (this
machine is running core linux http://www.sourceforge.net/coredistro/,
not the usual gentoo)

I think I may well change to gentoo for simplicities sake, unless anyone
can recommend a distro I can install that will support a
PII-166 machine with 96Mb RAM, a 3Gb HDD and installs from a CD, not
over the net as the NIC is an Netgear ISA using the ne.o kernel module
and I think finding a livecd that will use this is fairly remote! :D

TIA,

Matt
--
| Matthew Macdonald-Wallace     |