[Sussex] Vi?

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 27 23:28:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:36:40 +0100
Angelo Servini <Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk> wrote:

> Now here's the question.  Now .. now .. no flaming please!
>
> Which is better, Vi or Emacs?

I'm not in a position to debate the "which text editor" question in
depth, but there have been plenty of occasions when I've been grateful
to have Vi around - notably after upgrading, when X won't work, Vi comes
in handy to edit those files & get the show on the road again.

I can't say I find it intuitive & I tend to have a list of commands
handy, but it does the job & I've noticed that, even with X fully
working, I have more recently used Vi a couple of times because I knew
it would be quicker than using something else.

I'm sure that my time to bond with Emacs will come one day.

Just my tuppence worth.

Gavin.