[sub] [Sussex] A new look to our web site

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Fri Jul 30 10:56:44 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Dobson" <steve at dobson.org>
To: "Sussex Linux User Group" <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 10:47 AM
Subject: [sub] [Sussex] A new look to our web site

> Hi all
>
> I've just rolled out the new look to our website.  It took me a while
> because the public server is using an older version of PHP than my
> Debian laptop (the development system) so I had to modify some of my
> programs.
>
> Anyway I think it now all works.  Comments and suggestions welcome.
> Here are those suggestions from last night which I haven't had time
> to develop yet [there are only so many hours in the day and I do
> need to sleep sometimes :-)].
>   1). Add some Wiki pages.
> I plan to make a Wiki area so that some of our pages can
> be updated by anyone (there will be no logon required!)
> Some of our pages should be static.

What wiki are you going to be using?  Or are you going to roll your own?  If
not it might be worth a look at http://en.wikipedia.org they have a link for
the GPL software they use.

A word of caution with open wiki's.  You need to deal with search engines
"spiders" and they'll follow all the links on a page including the delete
option, and it could erase the whole wiki if it's not setup properly.