[Sussex] A new look to our web site

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 11:35:52 UTC 2004

Steve

 From: Steve Dobson [mailto:steve at dobson.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] A new look to our web site

> Gareth (and everyone else)
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:47:24AM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> >  From: Steve Dobson [mailto:steve at dobson.org]
> > >
> > > But that's the version of HTML I know - it's still supported -
this
> > > isn't M$ land you know :-)
> >
> > Yes but we have to get recruits some where and I don't se them
coming
> > from macland.
>
> I'm not saying that we shouldn't support the browsers.  I was just
making
> a dig at the point that in M$land you have to upgrade because the old
> standards are not supported.  Now that the PC market is just about at
> capacity M$ (or any company that has a monopoly in the OS market for a
> platform) need to generated money with upgrades as there is little or
> no growth in the replacement market.
>
> > Sorry its just I'm used to coding in XHTML 1.1 that is also
supported
> > but lynx as long as you design it right.
>
> I haven't got around to learning XHTML yet - It is on my ToDo list.

Its so much better plus you don't use damn table for design you only use
tables for tabular data in XHTML.

> > > What's wrong with it?  I did a page similar to this (same
techniques)
> > > and I was told by Karl that it look fine.  If you send me
(privately)
> > > an image I'll see what I can do to fix it.  It's probably
something
> > > simple.  What config of IE are you using?  Screen size? etc...
> >
> > Explorer version is 6.0.2800.1106IS
> > Res is 1600x1280
> >
> > I've attached some screens one in IE the second in firefox. The
colour
> > loss is just because of the png formatting.
>
> The IE problem was due to poor support in IE for transparent PNGs.  I
used
> the scaling clear pixel cheat to position some of the textual
components
> and these were being rendered as white by IE.  I've replaced these
with
> a clear pixel GIF (Damn - I didn't want to use non F/OSS formats).  It
> should render okay now.

Better but there are sill gaps. Although it would annoy you but you
don't get this problem with XHTML.

> The Firefox system was one of size.  All table columns expand if there
is
> is not enough text in the unlimited column to force the others to
there
> minimum (and required) widths.  I've added text to the presentation
page
> so it should now be okay.  Of course this will be a problem in the
future
> when 4094x2048 screens become available.
>
> > > I see the menu system changing long term.  It we can get some real
> > > content of the site it will have to change.  It will do for the
> > > moment,
> > > unless most would like a fixed menu on the left.
> >
> > Btw do you grab the menu from one include file or do you have loads
of
> > pages you have to edit.
>
> Both:  There are two fix parts that are in one of the scripts that get
> called - the first set of menu items (like the HOME button) and the
> last list of buttons (currently empty).  The other buttons for a page
> are defined in HTML comments with in the page PHP file and are
extracted
> by a script when the page is rendered.
>
> Steve

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.