[sub] [Sussex] A new look to our web site

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Fri Jul 30 12:59:03 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Dobson" <steve at dobson.org>
To: "LUG email list for the Sussex Counties" <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: [sub] [Sussex] A new look to our web site

> Paul
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:52:55AM +0100, Paul Turner wrote:
> > From: Steve Dobson
> > > I've just rolled out the new look to our website.  It took me a while
> > > because the public server is using an older version of PHP than my
> > > Debian laptop (the development system) so I had to modify some of my
> > > programs.
> > >
> > > Anyway I think it now all works.  Comments and suggestions welcome.
> > > Here are those suggestions from last night which I haven't had time
> > > to develop yet [there are only so many hours in the day and I do
> > > need to sleep sometimes :-)].
> > >   1). Add some Wiki pages.
> > > I plan to make a Wiki area so that some of our pages can
> > > be updated by anyone (there will be no logon required!)
> > > Some of our pages should be static.
> >
> > What wiki are you going to be using?  Or are you going to roll your own?
If
> > not it might be worth a look at http://en.wikipedia.org they have a link
for
> > the GPL software they use.
>
> I don't know yet.  Ideally I want something I can customize to look like
> other pages on the site, and will work on the site.  A quick look for wiki
> on the lug.org.uk show that Aberdeen are using tiki (which I think is the
> same one Nik Butler is using).  Other sites using wikis are East London,
> Glucs, Leicester, North Hants, Scarborough, South Derby & Surry.  If
> everyone will check these out and reports backs any preferences and
> thoughts.
>
> > A word of caution with open wiki's.  You need to deal with search
engines
> > "spiders" and they'll follow all the links on a page including the
delete
> > option, and it could erase the whole wiki if it's not setup properly.
>
> A good tip [do you speak from experience?]

No.  I was looking at some different wiki software and this was mentioned on
one of them.

See http://www.net-assistant.de/wiki/static/StartPage.html, a wiki that uses
php and flat textfiles, designed for smallish wiki's.  It was very easy to
install, I just extracted the zip file in the the webserver and it ran with
no problems.  Quite basic wiki software, but it seems to work.

Paul.