[Sussex] User Mode Linux

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Wed Jun 2 16:54:37 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,

I've just been playing with User Mode Linux, I was kinda surprised how
easy it was to get to work.

Once I had understood the basics that is, as I was thinking I had to patch
the host kernel, it turns out that you download and extract the kernel
source into a directory different from your main one, patch that with the
uml patch and compile with ARCH=um for everything.

You end up with a binary called linux, which you can pass the disk images
to, and they are treated like partitions. You pass some parameters for
networking and you have your own server running in its own Linux
environment :)

--
John