[Sussex] Semi useless info

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 12:06:28 UTC 2004

It's a very OLD number.

OWA has improved substantially recently. The only major performance hit is
if you try to use SSL certificates directly against the server (which is why
my clients use Apache as an SSL -> HTTP bridgehead.) Yes, Apache works very
well with Exchange - rather better than flipping ISA server does :-)

The main problem with OWA these days is that if the process DOES crash, then
Exchange is a bit monolithic, and it often brings down the whole server. In
the typical MS installation where 90% of users run a MAPI client, then this
has the potential for much user dissatisfaction :-(

Hence it's best practice to run OWA on a separate machine from the Exchange
server.

Regards,

Mark