[Sussex] Introduction

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Tue Jun 8 23:55:11 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a while now and thought it time I introduced
myself.

I wouldn't regard myself as a power-user or a user of cutting edge
technology, but as someone enjoying the roller coaster ride of 'How do I
do this?' and 'Wow! It does that!' that Linux provides.  As for the
technology, this P166 could hardly be described as bleeding edge. :)
Still, running Debian with Fluxbox, it makes for a useful everyday
machine fulfilling most of my computing needs.  I'm self-employed as a
gardener so my interest in computers is purely as a home user.  Saying
that, I use it more as a way of keeping 'the grey matter' active than
chilling out playing games.  I have plenty of interests in outdoor
activities for entertainment purposes.

I'm currently pushing back the boundaries of my vim and gimp knowledge.
Which I'm greatly enjoying.  I'm also experimenting more with a bit of
bash scripting and python.  Something to while away the rainy days at
least.  I've done a little with html, the results of which can be seen
at http://al.sdf-eu.org/ it's a little out of date.  But you'll get the
idea.

As you'll see from my signature.  I'm a member of the Scarborough LUG.
Sadly that's not a group based in Tobago, but North Yorkshire.  :)  Why
would I be subscribed to the Sussex LUG I hear you ask.  Well, I was
born and brought up in a small village half way between Chichester and
Bognor.  I still have family there so return fairly frequently, so it's
possible I might even get to a moot.  Also, I thought it might be nice
to nurture a 'hands across the north/south divide' thing in an Open
Source kind of way - if you follow me?

Well, I'm sure I've bored you all witless with my ramblings.  So I'll
leave it at that.

Toodle pip,

Al

--