[Sussex] Ok the gauntlets on the floor!

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Jun 9 16:48:54 UTC 2004

Angelo,

Tell Ajay that he should actually _read_ what he quotes.

The OSF, The Open Group and X/Open that Ajay mentioned are
_nothing_to_do_with_ Free Software or Open Source.  They are standards
groups who worked on a common basis for _commercial_ UNIX they are hang
overs (some of them are now defunct) from an older, nastier times.

If Ajay wants to talk about Free Software please direct him to his local
representative of the Free Software Foundation (me) or talk to someone
from the  Open Source Initiative (www.opensource.org).

You may also point out that the terms of the GPL do not require you to
obey any directives from any group other than the rules set out in that
license - all of which are about how you can distribute and modify the code.

One major tennant of the GPL is that it does not exclude any person.
You can come from any faith, country, political view point or
corporation and use GPL programs and code so long as you comply with the
terms of the GPL.  SCO can use the GPL code with the same rights as IBM
or Linus Torvalds.

Regards
Geoff Teale
Software Engineer