[Sussex] Xfree and Xorg

Steve Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 9 22:16:08 UTC 2004

Matt,

I've emerged Xorg and the basic answer is No, there isn't yet a great deal of
difference.

One minor difference I have noticed are that the xorg.conf setup for my
Intellimouse Explorer is more finicky than the Xfree equivalent, and I had to
be more specific about button and z-axis mapping.

Another is that gnome biased apps (Mozilla?, Evolution and Ethereal are ones
that spring to mind) seem to render application fonts very small using XFont
Server, but at least they are readable.

The unified nVidia 1-5336 driver compiled and runs just fine with xorg.

Hope this helps.

Steve W.