[Sussex] Ok the gauntlets on the floor!

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Thu Jun 10 15:53:47 UTC 2004

John D. wrote:

>So, this is, presumably, why "friend Balmer" refered to linux as
>software cancer/software communism not all that long ago.

That I would suggest was him trying to put a nasty spin on the fact that
if you use GPL source in your program then your program must also be
licensed under the GPL.  Microsoft much prefer the BSD license, which
means you can take someones code (which they give to you under the very
open BSD license) , include it in your project and then charge people a
lot of money for it whilst not passing on the same rights you so
graciously recieved.

Imagine this scenario:  farmer A lets farmer B have some cattle feed for
free, but farmer B charges farmer A for cow dung.

>I wondered, because when I first saw reports of it, I automatically
>"pooh poohed" it as more MS based FUD, and couldn't be bothered to read
>any further.

This e-mail already has way too much poo in it.
--

Regards
Geoff Teale