[Sussex] Meta/Alt/X

sussex at welikegoats.com sussex at welikegoats.com
Wed Jun 23 13:49:55 UTC 2004

I have just installed Fedora 2, and olvwm (yes, I still use it, for I like
it) after using Slackware for several years. Usually, I end up with no
Meta key in X when I configure it incorrectly, but now it seems I have
both Alt and Windows mapped to it, and have no Alt.

I have:

clear Mod1
keycode 115 = Meta_L
add Mod1 = Meta_L

and the output from xev when pressing Windows and Alt respectively:

KeyPress event, serial 21, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 432278, (122,127), root:(187,212),
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffe7, Meta_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 443297, (121,130), root:(186,215),
    state 0x0, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I want to use Meta to switch my desktops, as before, and Alt to work as,
well, Alt.

If I don't use the xmodmap above, Windows comes out as Super_L.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew

--