[Sussex] Scary PC fry-up

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 13:00:29 UTC 2004

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Geoff Teale [mailto:gteale at cmedltd.com]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] Scary PC fry-up

> Sorry to hear that Angelo,
>
> .. you can't let these women get on top of you... .er.. well..
> actually.  I think I'll leave that topic alone..
>
> Rest assured though, the only people who need worry about more and
more
> CPU time are people doing very complex visulisation or very large data
> processing tasks.  Oh.. and Gentoo users.. ;-)  ...and of course C and
> C++ developers (I have a project that takes over an hour to compile on
> my dual Xeon :-(  ).
>
> I saw one company (Penguin Computing) advertising AMD 64 machines as
> being particular good at starting emacs quickly.  _ would suggest that
> using emacs -nw -q (and having a sensible .emacs file) would garner a
> better response.    Some people would suggest using vi - but they are
> foul and deformed with extra fingers fused to their keyboard for
hitting
> ESC and Colon.  Normal people simply have mind probes to allow them to
> think : "Meta-X-Meta-F"  ;-)

Hmm you don't like Vi then LOL.

I'll see how Gentoo compiles on AMD64 come Tuesday when my 1mb ADSL line
is activated. :D

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.