[Sussex] Scary PC fry-up

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Jun 28 15:58:20 UTC 2004

Angelo,

I assume you are following this route in order to ensure future
employability (is that even a word?)

 From what I've seen of both C# and VB.Net they are perfectly nice
languages with reasonable dev environments.  They occupy the same
logical space as Java and have a very similar feel to that language.
They also suffer from the "black box" syndrome that all Microsoft dev
platforms suffer from.

If you're going to go forward tied to the 50,000 lb gorilla and all that
it entails, then they are fine choices and there is bound to be a
reasonable level of employment around with these skills for the next
five or six years.  Just remember that the 50,000lb gorilla is a randy
sod and when he tells you to take it like a man he's usually refering to
sodomy.

As for me.. I looked at it a few times since the first Visual Studio.NET
betas came out (we had these to play with at Thomson).  Personally I
think you can be a lot more productive with Python, Ruby or even Perl
(ptoohey, I spit on it) - but those tools don't have the marketing
budget .NET does and so a certain class of business might go that way.

 To my knowledge most businesses that aren't in the business of selling
software in a competitive market (i.e. those that don't have to change
just for the sake of saying they've changed) aren't doing either  -
they're holding off from any change for as long as possible, which makes
sense in mjost cases.

--
Geoff