[Sussex] Promoting SLUG

Nicholas Butler nik at butlershouse.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 22:42:45 UTC 2004

Steve cheers for doing this... been a little busy lately what with "things"

Steve Dobson wrote:

>At the last Moot those members present discussed some ideas for promoting
>the group.  Here are my notes on that discussion.  I will, in the next

We want to  promote the group ... why ?
    we want more members to here how much fun SLUGS could be !
    more members = better content  ( see OSS development )

>A proposed method for supporting and prompting the Sussex Linux User Group
>(SLUG) and Linux in general.  Anyone wanting to try Linux should come
>along to the SLUG meetings (or join the ML) for "free" support.

To be clear, im hoping to Promote, not Prompt... for those unclear , see
mjost !

>The idea is that the club "purchase" stand space at various computer
>shows held in the area.  There is one every few weeks around Brighton and
>Worthing.

by club he meant nik and by various we meant those listed so far

>The stand should be populated by a minimum of four people.  The stand staff
>should include both technical experts and novices.  The technical experts are
>there to try and help any questions that my come from the show attendees.  It
>is also important to having at least one novice on the stand--being able to
>point to someone and say "Go talk with Big John (I'm not volunteering you
>John) over there, he's a shop steward and drives a milk truck for a living,
>he has no IT experience, but he run Linux" is important -- and will give
>confidence to any waverers

Actually i would not qualify who/what the stand attendance should be,
but sentences cohernet together stringing , wanted is .

>The stand should provide "free installs of Debian".  This is not Debian
>trying to take over the SLUG, before Gentoo and other distro users get out
>their flaming throwers.  To "sell" Linux to the doubters a clear message
>needs to be presented, Debian is the best distro to provide that message
>for the following reasons:

Because we need.
    1. a Message                                                     Use
Debian
    2. a medium
Knoppix, Debian Based Live CDs
    3. the content to deliver over the medium     as the Message ... see
above
    4. the reason to keep reading.                        Because
UseDebian is a oligarchy joke and apropos

>1). We are targeting home uses - Debian is a "free" distro.  Commercial
>    distros do not give the same "Linux is free" message.  [Yes, I know
>    Gentoo is free, see the next point].

or Home Users, or Homer Uses ! Actually we are not targeting, or maybe
we are.. we are targetting ...
        Potential Slug members.

>2). Debian is a binary distribution and therefore quicker to install.
>    If we are installing systems at the show then we need a quick
>    install process.  As Steve Dobson can provide a Debian Mirror
>    network installation will be available and they can be very quick
>    indeed.

Use Debian, because Apt-Get has been gotten, were still waiting for the
others to emerge.....hahaha I just kill me self.

>    For a new user to Linux showing them a distro that you have to compile
>    yourself does not project the "easy to use" message - and do we want
>    someones old 200MHz laptop taking three days to build the world?
>

>3). Nik Butler has strong links with the Debian UK group and they should
>    be able to make merchandise available for us to sell - this could help
>    pay for the stand.

for strong links ... read ... I bought some beer, people came.. there
was drinking.

>4). We can give away (I would suggest that we ask [not demand] a one pound
>    fee towards the media and publication costs) Knoppix CDs.  As this is
>    Debian based it provides part of the same "clear" solution message.

im not averse to selling on the stand... people are far more likely to
NOT WASTE TIME if they are paying of it and there will be a lot of ALKs
on site to discourage

>5). Once installed Debian is easy to maintain (apt-get is just so powerful).

Damn I thought Use Debian would have been enough ...

>To promote that Linux is instalable we obtain (preferably by blagging)
>various computer components from the various stands at the show, build the
>system and install Debian on it.  To anyone obtaining the same hardware and
>bringing it to the stand we will build their machine for them and install
>Debian on it too.  Hopefully we can blag the components using the argument
>that we would be advertising where we got the components from.

this is the interesting idea . we make a big A3 poster, where we list
where we bought parts from the show to build a computer to turn into a
Debian purposed box.

We also need to give little Slide Show talks about Linux over the day ,
cumulating with a demo build , install and delivery of Linux , with
enough time following the demo for viewers to rush to those stands and
buy the bits. hell we might also want to hand this out as a shopping
list... e.g.

Part         Linux Driver         Stand         cost
video      video_driver            12               20

etc etc etc

Nik