Why is gnome better? RE: [Sussex] Promoting SLUG

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Jun 30 13:29:47 UTC 2004

Thomas Adam wrote:

>Perhaps, but the *amount* it takes up should not infringe on that. There
>should be the option of unloading all the fluff if need be so that it is
>relatively non-intensive.

Put simply - you _can_.

>I diagree with that completely. Ok, so I rarely use a GUI, but to be
>honest there are a number of things that I do that simply *require* an
>Xserver to be running.

Fair enough.  But then you should be using somehting lightweight and not
expecting something like GNOME to do the job.  Horses for courses.  If
you want a minimal window manager out of the box then TWM is your
friend.   TWM users can look at FVWM and Fluxbox users and laugh at the
*huge* amounts of memory they waste.

>I am not that bothered.

Very few people are... ;-)

>Then you're probably not doing it correctly. :)

.... er... yuh... I kinda figured... ;-)

--
Geoff