[Sussex] Compaq Desktop for Sale

Mike Diack mike_diack at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:16:32 UTC 2004

I think the problem is that vanilla Win 2K doesn't recognise a Cyrix 6x86 as
being Pentium Pro class
and doesn't switch on the optimisations for it etc.... until after it's
installed and even then it's not exactly blistering -
boot time is about 5 mins (I kid you not)

The Cyrix machines BIOS doesn't either... So one of the first lines in the
windows autoexec.bat during bootup
runs some freeware to optimise the CPU's behaviour etc....

Mike

lol,

I'm sure I had a beta version of win2k when I had a Pentium 233 MMX and
it didn't take 4 hours to install.
Maybe when they put the extras on it was slower.

Gareth Ablett