[Sussex] "pre-depend" error upgrading to Woody

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 09:56:57 UTC 2004

 --- Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

> If you read the release notes/docs/manpage (I can't remember where I
> did) you'll find that dselect was a first attempt by someone who, in
> his own words, couldn't design user interfaces.  It was never ment as
> a "production" bit of software.  The problem was, for all its faults,
> it worked, and was never rewritten.

You have to remember that when Ian Jackson, along with Bruce Perens wrote
this software, it literally was from the point that: "it works, it'll do".
Debian was still very much a guru's distribution -- you really *had* to
know what you were doing. Luckily that isn't really the case anymore.
Although I do see a number of people running Sid when they ought not to
be...for their own safety if nothing else ;)

> Also, I admit it (and I think Thomas is too), a command line junkie.
> There is real power there.

Yup, I certainly am.

> If you don't want to do a "net install" then think about doing it this
> way.
>
> Just before going to bed run the command:
>
>   # apt-get -d dist-upgrade
>
> This will pull on the packages you need from the net into the apt
> cache.  You can then go off line and upgrade later using
>
>   # apt-get dist-upgrade

Yeck:

apt-get -u dist-upgrade && apt-get clean

*I* wouldn't want all those packages floating around afterwards....

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"