[sub] [Sussex] re:- Phil Turners last post

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Mar 6 23:53:57 UTC 2004

Gus, guys, guys

I can not believe what I am reading.

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 07:15:23PM +0000, Mark Barber wrote:
> Steve Williams wrote:
> >On Saturday 06 March 2004 13:05, Nicholas Butler wrote:
> >
> >>Allowing Attachments in Emails....
> >>
> >>Im personally of the view that this is the route to all evils and
> >>attachments should simply be banned on email as a delivery mechanism.
> >
> >Why not go the whole hog and enforce text only e-mails?
> >
> Why don't we ban email altogether? People clearly can't be trusted to
> use it.

Do you all really, really want to enforce your view that e-mail should
only be used the way *you* think it should?  Should Government pass
laws to enforce it for you?  Given the Nanny State that this Government
appears to believe in do you trust them to pass appropriate laws?

E-mail attachments are not, in and of themselves, bad or evil.  It is
the users that are the problem, they need educating.  If you are going
to protect them it should be at the last stage of the process not the
first.  Do not take away one of my freedoms just because there are some
that are too brain dead to know better.

Attachments are a very convenient way of sending some forms of information
around the net.  Not long ago I help out one of the Linux Kernel developers.
He send me some code (in a gzipped tarball) for me to compile and run on
my Sony and report back the output.  How difficult do you want to make if
for me, and others, to help?

We should need no special laws to govern the Internet.  Why should writing
and virus that trashes the data on a computer system be any different that
Malicious Damage?  If that computer hold medical records that are changed,
and as a result a patient dies, then the virus writer is a murderer!  We
are all responsible for our actions and the consequences there of.

If the above comments were sarcastic then please forgive, you caught a
raw nerve of mine, and one that I needed to patch.  However, if you are
of the those opinions then I ask you to think again.  If you take offense
at my words then I am *not* sorry, because I find your words just as
offensive.

Steve D