[Sussex] What the opposition costs

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Wed Mar 10 15:59:00 UTC 2004

> Now, I know that bashing^8^8^8^8^8^8^8^8talking about Microsoft isn't
> the best way to promote Linux, but ah, WTF.... time for some shameless
> spin.
>
> We talked a little about Microsoft's TCO's for Linux recently - here's
> an article which explains what Microsoft's customers are seeing for
> their ever increasing expenditure (and remember folks, it's an annual
> membership fee!).
>
> http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0308licensing.html
>
> ... nice ;).

This makes me feel better about advising my customers NOT to go with M$
Software Assurance.

I told them that it looked very much like the Extended Warranties that
electrical goods retailers are keen to sell you with your new TV, but the
real reason was that I felt physical sick from stress every time I tried
to understand just what the M$ licensing deals were offering.

Ha, ha!  Now it turns out that SA is exactly the same as the Extended
Warranties - worthless.

> --
> Geoff Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
> Free Software Foundation

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited
http://www.gigaday.com
tony at gigaday.com

"We need a full affront on an energy crisis that is real in California and looms for other parts of our country if we don't move quickly."

George W. Bush
March 29, 2001
White House press conference.